Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pumpkins Ugh!

I have an aversion for pumpkins and I am seeing too many of them around these days. Those orange, tasteless, easily spoilt, strange smelling things are not in my favorites list.

Unless ofcourse if they are made a part of chocchori - that delightful Bengali preparation of potatoes, pumpkin, brinjals (okay, eggplant), drumsticks (not chicken silly - shojne data or saragawa) cooked slowly on fire with green chilies and corainder powder with tumeric, and a dash of mustard paste. Aah what a delight to eat hot chocchori with rice.

But pumkpin other wise is something I stay away from. I once made the mistake of ordering a pumpkin spice flavoured coffee and the taste of it still brings a shudder. I refuse to believe that to the Harry Potters et al, pumpkin juice was something they loved to drink at Hogwarts.

And if people like to carve horrible faces with pumpkins and hang them out in their backdoor to scare little children, they have my heartiest wishes. Pumpkins deserve no better.

5 comments:

Souradyuti said...

"jodi kumro potash hase...
khobordar eso na keu astaboler kache.....
....
jodi kumro potash kade
uthbe na keu chhade
behag sure gaibe sudhu 'radhe krishan radhe'"
hee!! hee!!!

First Rain said...

"Hot chocchori with rice" - oh I miss home! Sigh.

Anwesha Chatterjee said...

@Akash Sen: Bingo!!!

@FR: I know..thankfully, I get my chochori whenever I want it :-))

Anonymous said...

but the colour of foreign-halloween pumkins is so pretty...

Anwesha Chatterjee said...

@Smug: a little more orangy than ours I'd say. But quite ghastly in size. Nothing however beats the giant sized onions in USA. They look scary!